Uraidla is derived from the aboriginal word Yureidla, meaning area of the two ears – referring to the profile of mounts Lofty and Bonython, when viewed against the skyline. The shape being similar to the ears of a mythical creature in the folklore of the Kauna Aboriginal people.
Uraidla was not a surveyed township, but rather developed over time on land owned by the Cutting, Willcox and Dyer families. A cluster of houses and other buildings gradually evolved over the years into the gardening and fruit-growing township we now recognise.
Edmund Wilcox was first granted a storekeeper’s license in 1867 and a hotelier’s license in 1877. We have kept 1867 as the hotel’s original date as we feel sure Mr Willcox sold alcohol of some description in his store! The hotel, then under the license of the Francisco family, was destroyed by fire in 1939. The long room facing the main street is all that remains of the original building. The burned timbers are now visible, as we have exposed the surrounding ceiling structure. We’ve also added a beautiful vintage copper and bronze fire extinguisher for good measure! As per the fashion of the 1930’s, the front foyer entrance was renovated in the Art Deco style; we have paid homage to this era by keeping the foyer as such, and incorporating the geometric designs into our bar area.